Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Practicing the Virtues

The book recommends trying to figure out which virtue you are most in need of.  This is good advice.   Here is similar advice from a great Jesuit priest, Father Hardon

Before applying the particular examen to my own spiritual life, it is well to first ask myself, "What are the virtues that I know from experience I most need to develop?"

The reason why this question should first be answered is that no two of us are equally prone to commit the same kind of sins. Nor are we personally always tempted in thesame direction. There is wisdom in first knowing enough about myself, to be able to getto the root of my own moral weakness. Otherwise, I may be ignoring what really needsattention in my spiritual life and concentrating on what is not so necessary for me at
this time in my service of God.

Moreover, it would be a mistake to suppose that by attending to my moral failings, I am being "negative" in my pursuit of holiness.

On the contrary. In God's providence, He allows us to fail in those areas in which He especially wants us to grow in virtue.

We can fail in the practice of these virtues either by commission, omission, or bytepidity, in not acting as generously as we might in responding to the grace we have received from God.

The book also recommends participating in the sacraments (particularly Holy Eucharist and Reconciliation), regular prayer, and reading the lives of the saints in order to cooperate with God in His desire to make you become closer to what He means you to be. 

Go on to next section:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your initials or something here when you have finished the lesson.